Learning with Jelly Beans!

Math is sometimes a subject that students dread because it can be extremely difficult.  Last week I began a multiplication unit for my grade 3 class and I wanted to make the lessons enjoyable and easy to understand.  After teaching the students the basic vocabulary and reviewing key material such as addition sentences, multiplication sentences, and skip counting, we began to look at arrays.


What better way to create an array then to use Jelly Beans! My students loved the idea of using a concrete material that smelled delicious and was fun to use.  Students who have a hard time staying focused and completing work on time were motivated to learn!

Any manipulative would have worked, but increasing their motivation and enthusiasm with the use of jelly beans was well worth it.  Math can be fun, and learning can be great, even when the subject is new and complicated.

Students love to show me how much they know about arrays now and I know it was because we kicked off their learning with a fun and exciting lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment